Thursday, June 30, 2011

Despedidas

Tomorrow I leave Spain.

I said goodbye to my students two weeks ago and made one last trip south to Córdoba for two days with my friend Sam and on to Granada for another two days by myself while she went on to Alicante to visit a friend. Both of the cities are lovely, even if they hit over 100º F during the summer. With a huge sun hat for some shade, a bottle of water and a Spanish fan in hand, one can enjoy some spectacular sights.


The beautiful mezquita/cathedral in Córdoba

And yet my mind was elsewhere. Luckily in Córdoba, Sam’s company could distract me from the small city’s quietness. In Granada, I had no such diversion. I considered contacting someone on Couchsurfing, but I didn’t feel like being entertaining. There’s only so many people you can call on to hang out in such a mood, and of course, none of mine were in Granada.

Sam, traveler extraordinaire

So my final stop was marked by a lot of wandering, stops in plazas with a book, general laziness and as little conversation as possible.

I’m ready to come home. I’ve accomplished what I could at school; I’ve seen what I wanted to see; I’ve met some fabulous friends (thanks to all of you, by the way, for making this year amazing).

And that’s enough for now. Things here have wrapped up. Things in Michigan have been moving on without me. It’s time to catch up.


Climbing the hill up to the Alhambra, mentally bemoaning the heat, the fact that I knew there had to be an easier path but had listened to street signs instead of my map...and then a pleasing view of the city below

I’ll have things to keep me busy as soon as I get back -- the anniversary of Trevor’s and my first date, the 4th of July at Aunt Jane’s, a quick catching up with a friend who’s about to take off for Virginia for a while, a meet and greet company overview for the job I want, camping with my aunts and uncles and cousins -- and that’s just the first week!

I’m hoping to stay busy enough that I won’t have time to dwell on reverse culture shock (for a gorgeous poem on culture shock, check out this translation of Reina María Rodríguez’s “first time” here), and I think that knowing I’m ready to go back, having things to work towards, will make the transition easier.

‘Stá luego, España. This year has definitely been un pasito pa’delante, and I’m continuing on.


My favorite picture from the Alhambra

1 comment:

  1. Hello! My name is Brooke and I have been placed for this upcoming year at your highschool in Madrid! I was wondering if you could send me a quick email so I could get in touch with you and ask you some questions. My email is brookesarahpetersen@gmail.com. I would appreciate it very much, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete